Saturday, September 18, 2010

Have a seat...

Upholstered furniture is my absolute favorite blank slate to create upon because it combines several of my favorite things: fabric, trim and tailoring. The only rule when designing upholstery is that it has to not only be comfortable to sit in but it needs to look comfortable too! A sure fire way to keep people out of your living room is to fill it with stiff furniture, like those elegant wood-framed sofas, perhaps passed down by a grandmother or two... They just don't invite you in!
After you have met that criteria, the sky is the limit! Well tailored upholstery is a great place to add that WOW factor that takes a room up a notch. These are the type of details that customize your look and are  immune to the wear and tear of life....a boxy Crate and Barrel sofa and a well tailored sofa with sculpted arms and a tufted back will hold up just the same against a a little girls slumber party, I have tried it!
Here are some of my favorites:

I love this bedroom from www.mrshoward.com. Just want to dive right in!
I designed this chair to incorporate this fabulous red alligator fabric I found to compliment the yummy cut red fabric from Scalamandre.



I love the back height of this chair, just high enough to rest your elbow.  This one is from Robin Bruce furniture.

A tufted sofa can work in a living room or a playroom...it is not necessarily a more formal look, it just shows you thought enough to add a little extra touch. This one is from Robert Bruce furniture.




















No comments:

Post a Comment